Please Note: ALL 280K SuperPots are SPLIT-SHAFT. When you order a Jazz Bass kit, it will ship with brass sleeves for use with knobs with set screws. All standard USA Jazz Bass-style knobs will fit over the brass sleeves; other knobs with set-screws should accept a 1/4"-inch shaft. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
RS Guitarworks offers the pre-wired Vintage Jazz Bass kit. Just attach your pickups and tailpiece ground, and you're ready to go! Loaded with the great RS 280K SuperPots™, along with a CTS 250K Tone pot and a Vintage RS GuitarCap Paper In Oil .047 capacitor.
Who this kit is for: The Vintage Upgrade Kits offer a warmer, woody tone for anyone who is tired of not being able to use the controls on your bass effectively. This kit is also great for those who are tired of losing tone and note-definition every time they roll their control past 8!! This kit is designed for all Fender Jazz Bass® style basses, no matter what the pickup combination is.
Please Note: All guitars manufactured in Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico use metric pots (6mm), and have metric sized holes drilled for the pots. All pots sold by RS Guitarworks use standard pots and hole diameters (3/8"). Therefore, holes in the guitar, plates and/or pickguards will need to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit properly. Also, metric knobs will not fit the RS pot shafts; most popular knobs are available on the store in new and aged versions. Please call us for details or questions about installation.
What this is: For years, guitar/bass manufacturers have chosen to cut corners on the electronics they have used, even in their top-of-the-line models. This kit is designed to utilize the best electronic components possible in your bass. This kit is the culmination of thousands of hours of research and development into different bass electronics and how each of them affects the overall tone of the bass.
What's in the kit:
(2) 280K RS Solid-Shaft SuperPots® - We designed these pots in conjunction with CTS. Used for the volume controls in the kit, these pots have a custom taper that gives you a noticeable difference between each number on your volume control. You can finally roll your volume down to 2 or 1 and not loose any clarity, even in the neck position!! Mil-spec construction and a smoother resistor path make this
the best pot to ever be used in the guitar.
(1) 250K CTS Solid-Shaft Audio taper pot.
(1) Vintage RS GuitarCap Paper In Oil .047µF Capacitor. Manufactured to RS specs, these hand-made 100v caps have a rich vintage tone, while still retaining open top-end clarity. Hand-wound on 50's-era machines, the new RS Vintage GuitarCaps use vintage-correct Kraft paper, solid military-spec construction and tinned 20AWG leads for easy soldering. They really hold their own against the vintage caps; their tone is similar to the famous caps from the 50's.
(1) Length vintage-white wire - Used for wiring the circuit.
(1) Length vintage-black wire - Used for the grounding the circuit.
(1) Output Jack - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) Color wiring diagram.
How this kit improves your tone: All of the above components combine to create unprecedented clarity in your overall tone. This increase in clarity will also equate to an increase in note bloom, harmonic complexity, and, in some cases, sustain. Because this kit increases the usability and intuitiveness of the controls onboard your bass, you will achieve tones that you didn't think were possible.