Who this kit is for: The Vintage Upgrade Kits offer a warmer, woody tone. This pre-wired kit is just what you need for your Gibson® ES-335 and other ES series guitars (and other quality copies). If you have wanted to upgrade your electronics, but just did not want to tackle this job, this kit is for you. We have done everything on this to make it easy including pigtails for the pickups!! This kit will give your 335 that classic tone only RS components can give it. Professional installation is recommended.
Please Note: All guitars manufactured in Korea, Japan, China, Indonesia and Mexico use metric pots (6mm), and have metric sized holes drilled for the pots. All pots sold by RS Guitarworks use standard pots and hole diameters (3/8"). Therefore, holes in the guitar, plates and/or pickguards will need to be enlarged to 3/8" to fit properly. Also, metric knobs will not fit the RS pot shafts; most popular knobs are available on the store in new and aged versions. Please call us for details or questions about installation.
What this is: For years, guitar manufacturers have chosen to cut corners on the electronics they have used, even in their top-of-the-line guitars. This kit is designed to utilize the best electronic components possible in your guitar. This kit is the culmination of thousands of hours of research and development into different guitar electronics and how each of them affects the overall tone of the guitar.
What's in the kit:
(2) 500K RS Short-Shaft SuperPots®- We designed these pots in conjunction with CTS. Used for the volume controls in the kit, these pots have a custom taper that gives you a noticeable difference between each number on your volume control. You can finally roll your volume down to 2 or 1 and not loose any clarity, even in the neck position. A smoother resistor path make this the best pot to ever be used in the guitar.
(2) 500K CTS Short-Shaft Audio taper pots.
(2) Vintage RS GuitarCap Paper In Oil .022. RS is proud to bring you our new Vintage 600 volt Paper In Oil (PIO) capacitor. We have tested these against some of the best new and vintage caps on the market and we are happy to say they outperformed any cap we have sold in the past and they really hold their own against the vintage caps. Their tone is similar to the famous caps from the 50's.
(1) Vintage Braided Wire - for signal, shielding and grounding of the circuit.
(1) Pre-wired Short Toggle switch - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) Pre-wired Input Jack - Manufactured by Switchcraft®.
(1) Color wiring diagram.
How this kit improves your tone: All of the above components combine to create unprecedented clarity in your overall tone. This increase in clarity will also equate to an increase in note bloom, harmonic complexity, and, in some cases, sustain. Because this kit increases the usability and intuitiveness of the controls onboard your guitar, you will achieve tones that you didn't think were possible.
Switchcraft 90º toggle switch pre-wired for Explorer and Firebird guitars. This is a quality replacement switch with a switch tip. Made In USA. If you want to change the switch in your guitar but are a bit uncomfortable with soldering, this is just the part for you.
Pre-Wired Switchcraft Long Toggle Switch
Switchcraft long toggle switch pre-wired for your Les Paul® guitars. This is a quality replacement switch with a switch tip and a repro coarse toggle switch nut just like the ones used in the 50s. If you want to change your guitar to true 50s style and are a bit uncomfortable with soldering this is just the part for you.
Pre-Wired Switchcraft Short Toggle Switch
Switchcraft short toggle switch pre-wired for your Les Paul® guitars. This is a quality replacement switch with a switch tip. If you want to change the switch in your guitar but are a bit uncomfortable with soldering, this is just the part for you.